Bonaparte created in 1802 the corps of the Municipal Guard of Paris to replace the legion of Police suppressed in 1796. The Garde Municipale de Paris consisted of 2 regiments on foot and 1 squadron of dragoons. It wore a uniform green with red distinctive for the 1st regiment and red with green distinctive for the 2nd regiment.
Although its vocation was to ensure security in the Capital, it was very quickly led to travel throughout Europe with the Imperial armies, it was seen in Danzig, then in Friedland.
In 1808, it was in Spain under the command of General Dupont de L’Etang.