This regiment was created on January 3, 1800, and first constituted the “Garde des Consuls”, under the command of Major General Joachim Murat. On May 10, 1804, Napoleon Bonaparte became Emperor of the French and, on July 29 of the same year, Brigadier General Soult took command of the regiment. The regiment became “Corps Royal des Chasseurs à pied de France” during the Emperor’s deposition and became “Chasseurs à pied” again during the 100 days.
The four regiments of Chasseurs à pied were the last to leave the battlefield of Waterloo (June 1815). The third and fourth regiments were disbanded on 1 October 1815, the first and second on 11 October.